Monday, March 2, 2009

Ireland - Day Two - Killarney

Cute little town on the Ring of Kerry
Critter along the way
I was headed to Kenmare
Torc Falls walk
Torc Falls
On the way to Torc Falls
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
Wildlife at the Castle
More Wildlife at the Castle
an Irish Subway
Camera shop
Dinner venue

So since I got a later start on the day than I planned (the epic 11 hours of sleep that I know I needed), I didn't get to do my hike up Carrantouhil like I wanted. That just means I have to come back to do it.  

For some reason on Sunday my telephoto lens decided to stop working.  I'm told that it's repairable, but since I don't have time to wait for that, I visited Moriarty's photo shop in downtown Killarney.  They were very helpful there and I now have a new 28-300mm lens.  It's not as nice as my other telephoto, but it'll do for the trip.  

After getting the lens I was off to Ross Castle, which is about a mile or two from my hotel.  It's in Killarney National Park which is gorgeous.  Definitely a lot of recreational activities available within the park.  I know I'll be saying it a lot this time, but "if I had more time" I would take advantage of more of the activities.  

Then it was off to drive around the Ring of Kerry.  It's a beautiful drive.  I got to see what they meant about having to wait for sheep in the road, etc.  I love the fact that the speed limit is 100km/hour pretty much the whole way on the trip, but I rarely made it over 60-80km because the roads are so winding throughout the way.  I seem to recall similar speed limits in New Zealand on even crazier roads.

I didn't stop much on the Ring of Kerry because it was getting dark.  I did stop for my second Irish geocache though!  The day was completed with a nice big bowl of Irish stew at The Laurels Pub in downtown Killarney.

Today I'm going to meander my way up to Galway.  It's apparently supposed to rain most of today but that won't stop me from anything!  Again, more of my photos are up on my flickr page.

4 comments:

Word Tosser said...

As always great pictures, Annie.
What a surprise with the multi-colored houses, just like in Charleston, S.C. and now Sandpoint.

Laumatia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laumatia said...

I'm so jealous, but glad to be living vicariously through you!! :)(

Matoran Solek said...

Hope to see you in Sweden somtimes but there is not much we can offer in Sweden that beats Ireland. :-(

Very nice pictures!