Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ireland - Day Four - Connemara

Summit of Diamond Hill
Kylemore Abbey
On the hike
On the hike

Beginning of the hike
Near Connemara National Park
Near Connemara National Park
Westport - what's an Ironmonger?
Paddy Coynes Pub
On the drive to Connemara

I'm kind of anxious to get on the road so this may be a shorter post.  Yesterday was a great day discovering the Connemara area.  I finally got to spend some more time outside when I went on a hike up Diamond Hill in Connemara National Park.  It was an easier hike with spectacular views.  

From the hike I could look down and see my next destination - the Kylemore Abbey.  It's home to Benedictine Order of Nuns in Ireland.  You only get to go through a small portion of the Abbey which is set up like a mini-museum.  The grounds there are beautiful.  I got there too late to visit the gardens on the property.  

From there, I took the long way back to Galway by heading up to Westport.  I went on a short walk around the downtown of Westport and then back to Galway.  I walked around the downtown Galway for a little bit last night.  I've been in the area for two days but I haven't seen Galway in the daylight yet!  I'm going to go check it out this morning.

I've decided to head over to Dublin today and make that my home for the next three nights.  So I'll probably be checking out part of the city today.  I may take a daytrip tomorrow up to Northern Ireland but I haven't fully decided yet.  I am getting sad that my time here is starting to run out!

Thank you everyone for all your comments!  It's nice knowing that people are actually reading my blog. :)

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Please take some hi-res photos of some overflowing garbage can, trash heap, animal carcass or other such ugly item.

There's *gotta* be something ugly in this country, right?

blorengia said...

I've just been catching up on your journey so far: Lovely photographs - you've seen more of Ireland than we have! But you're missing a pic of a donkey... you can't say you've truly 'done' Ireland unless you've spotted a donkey ;-)
We look forward to meeting you seen in Dublin.
Lucilla and Chris

Mike said...

I. am. so. JEALOUS!

Love said...

I did actually see a cute donkey at one part of the journey, but I was driving so I didn't snap a photo. :)

Jenn - I'll try to find something ugly here for you. ;)