Friday, March 6, 2009

Ireland Day Six - Dublin

St. Patrick's Cathedral
St. Patrick's Cathedral
Guinness
Guinness
Guinness
Trash Can
Guinness
Guiness
North of Dublin
North of Dublin
North of Dublin
Newgrange
Near Newgrange
Newgrange
Newgrange

I'm sad to say it's my last day in Ireland.  There's so much more I wanted to do and wanted to see.  But that will have to wait until next time.  I know there will be a next time, it's just a matter of when.

Yesterday I drove up to visit Newgrange.  It's amazing to stand in a place that was built in 3200 BC.  You just have to be amazed and wonder how they did it.  Apparently the winter solstice is the best time of year to be there, because for 17 minutes in the morning, the sun hits the entrance just right and it lights up the inside.  You have to win a lottery to be able to be there for that.

Then it was back to Dublin.  I decided to tour the Guinness Brewery.  They have a special tour built just for the tours - more like a Guinness museum.  At the end you come up to the Gravity bar where you get a nice view of the whole city and get a pint of Guinness.  

Since it was only a mile away, I stopped by the 800+ year old St. Patrick's Cathedral after the brewery. Unfortunately I was too late for visiting hours, but it's a beautiful church on the outside. 

Anyway, I must get started on my day now.  I'm meeting some geocaching friends for breakfast, then it's off to do some last touring.  Then this evening there is geocaching event where I'll get to meet a lot of geocachers from the area!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Where are all the people? Is it deserted over there right now? This must be the right time of year to visit without tourists getting in your pictures! Nicely done. I am enjoying your blog and your pictures!