Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Training - Part One

Over the next few months Rachel and I will look into a lot of training options for our trek.  If we go with a guided service, they include training in the trip (which makes the trip 1-2 days longer than if we go on our own).  If we go on our own we'll need to look into some mountaineering training so that we're fully prepared.  While it's important to have mountaineering skills, I think the best training over the next few months will be to ensure that I'm physically in the best shape of my life. 

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a very active person in general.  I walk 2 miles each way every day to work, which I've found has made hiking a lot easier.  I run anywhere from 2-6 miles 5-7 days a week.  I've tried to step that up to 3-6 miles and added the occasional jump rope and basketball if I happen to be working out at the gym.  Rachel and I are planning to do the Mercer Island half marathon in March.  This will be my first half marathon, therefore, the longest distance I've ever run in my life.  I also play on a co-rec soccer team every Thursday which often leaves me pleasantly sore on Fridays.  

I decided that I needed a workout that strengthened my upper body since I'll be carrying about 35-40 pounds on my back for the trip up the mountain.  What's a better upper body workout than boxing?  I've never been a huge fan of boxing, until I got my Nintendo Wii and realized what a great workout it could be.  Last week my friend Miriam and I started taking a boxing fitness class.  Luckily I don't have to hit people or be hit by people but it's great taking out any frustrations on the punching bags!  Talk about a great workout and a fun change of pace!

Hiking.  There will be many many hikes taken between now and the climb.  I went for a short hike just east of Seattle last weekend.  Rachel and I have plans of doing the hike to Camp Muir sometime when the weather's a little better.  I'm also going to look into a backpacking trip up Mt. Adams to help train.

Anyway - it's time to go to the gym now.




1 comment:

kelsi said...

Becca will climb Mt. Adams with you.